All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-16-2017
Accepted Solution

Recently moved to NYC from Australia - Trying to complete my IT-2104

[ Edited ]

Hi All,


I have recently moved to NYC from Australia and trying to complete my IT-2104; however, I have no idea how to do it. Obviously certain questions such as "College Tuition Credit" is a 0; however, other areas are confusing. So first up, I am here with my Domestic Partner of 6 years, we are living together, she is on a non-working Visa, not working and I am supporting both of us.


1. In light of this, can I claim the Head of the Household status? Then if she does start working, can I just have this changed to save on tax during the time she is not working. 


2. Line 15 & 16 - how am I meant to know my deductions If I have never lived in the US before? 

3. What is the difference between Standard and Itemised deductions?


Part 2:

Line 18 & 19: How should I know my estimated tax deductions?


In my situation, do I basically need to file as Single or can I claim any deductions at all?


Thanks a lot!



Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Recently moved to NYC from Australia - Trying to complete my IT-2104

Hi remigi.


Welcome to the H&R Block community, and welcome to the USA.


Let's see if we can answer these questions for you and provide you with a little bit of insight at the same time.


(1) You are not married, so your filing status is going to be single.  If you become legally married then your status will be married & filing jointly which is the most advantageous of all five filing statuses.  In order to file as head of household you must have either a qualifying child or a qualifying relative (someone for whom you provide) who is related to you by blood.


Assuming your partner is not actually related to you what you can do is if they lived with you for the entire year and they meet the qualifying relative requirements you can claim them as your qualifying relative and that will give you an extra $4,000 exemption.  The requirements for a qualifying relative who is not related to you are:


  • the person must live with you for the entire year
  • the person must have earned less than $4,050 for the year
  • the person must have received more than 50% of their support from you
  • the person must not be the dependent of another taxpayer

It does appear that you meet all of these requirements.


If you partner starts working and earns over $4,050 for the year then she will need to file her own tax return as an independent single taxpayer until the year in which you marry.


(2)  If you're unsure about deductions you can ask me or meet with a tax professional at any H&R Block office when you get ready to complete your tax return.  I'm on here all the time helping people with all kinds of tax-related questions.  You can post a message on the board or click on my name to send me a private message with your questions at any time.


You get a standard deduction of $6,300 and a personal exemption amount of $4,050 as a legal resident of the USA.  If you've been in the country legally for more than 183 days during the year then you're a resident alien (legal resident) for tax purposes.  You also get a $4,050 exemption for anyone that you claim as your dependent or qualifying relative.


(3) Itemized deductions means that you deduct all of your deductible expenses on Schedule A instead of taking the standard amount.  So if you have $9,000 in itemized deductions then you won't get a standard deduction but instead you'll deduct your Schedule A deduction amount of $9,000 because it's greater than what your standard deduction would be.  Itemized deductions include medical expenses, taxes you paid, mortgage interest & insurance, charitable contributions, casualty losses, and many other types of miscellaneous expenses including unreimbursed work expenses.


(4) You can estimate $6,300 + $4,050 for your estimated deductions since you're new to the country and probably will not have enough deductible expenses to complete Schedule A.


If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)