All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Received ZERO wage W2 from former employer

I just received a W2 from an employer I haven't worked for since 2014.  Other than names, addresses, SS and EIN numbers the only bpxes with informatiion was check for RETIREMENT plan (401k was rolled over in 2014) and a VALDATION number.  Wages and taxes were all zero as they should be. 

Why did I get this and do I need to include the form with my federal eFile?

Highlighted
Trusted Council Member

Re: Received ZERO wage W2 from former employer

Hi LouM,

Welcome to the community.

You do not need to report this W-2.

Forms W-2 with zero income that only have information in Box 12 will not affect your tax return.  Box 12 is generally for informational purposes only.  For example, if you have no income reported on a W-2 but you have $5,500 in Box 12 with code DD next to it then you do not need to report that.  It just means that the amount in Box 12 was contributed to a retirement account.  It's when you get a Form 1099-R for a distribution that you'll have something that needs to be reported.

I hope that I've been of help.  Please ask if you have any other questions.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

I figurred that.  But do I need to enter the info (or lack therof) into my tax software?  I'm assuming the government got a copy of this too and would red flag my return if I don't enat least enter it.

Any clue why the company sent me this??  I last worked for the in 2014  and didn't get one last year (2015) but get one for 2016. Makes no sense. 

Associate (Neighbor)

Hi LouM,

In all probability, the W-2 was issued in error.  One possibility as to why it was produced or issued was an event, such as legal action regarding back pay for employees during 2014.  It might be worth it to contact the employer to find out why it was issued to you.

Entering the W-2 won't make any difference in your taxes.  However, some tax software may have a problem with W-2's with all zeroes.  In that case, just delete the form.

Hope the foregoing has been helpful.

SimonT

(Tax Advisor)

Pioneer

[ Edited ]
Hello how are you?

I was reading this post and wondered if this solution could apply to my situation as well. I have a w2 the same way. All zeros, and box 13 has an x for retirement plan but there are no other numbers or codes in block 12.