All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Real estate/property taxes

Where...or on what document can I find the amount of real estate/property tax I paid for a home I own?

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: Real estate/property taxes

Scotti-

Welcome to the Community!

Real estate taxes are often listed on your 1098 (mortgage interest statement). If not listed on the actual form you can sometimes find the amount in the escrow summary included with the form.

If all else fails, you can get the information from your county assessor's office.

Good luck!

John B

Tax Associate

John B.
Tax Associate

Taxes are often confusing and difficult. Any advice offered is general tax advice. Please consult with a tax pro to receive advice specific to your tax situation.
Pioneer

[ Edited ]

I'm filling out the state form and there is a question asking if I paid

Taxes Paid on Your Principal Illinois Residence

Is the same as the Real Estate Tax amount on my Form 1098?

Alumni Associate

Hello walterwoods.  Welcome to The Community.

Yes.  If you pay your real estate taxes on your main home as part of your monthy mortgage payments, the amount listed on the Form 1098 would be correct.

I hope this helps.  Good luck to you.

WillMc1
Tax Professional (Retired)
Pioneer

I have a 1098 and no real estate taxes are listed. They were not part of my mortgage payments but I paid

them (property taxes 2 times a year)  separately to my city assessor. Is that the same thing as the real estate tax?

Thanks Jenspage118

Highlighted
Associate (Neighbor)

Hello jenspage118, and welcome to the community.

Yes, the property taxes paid to the city (or township, county, or other local entity which collects property taxes) would be the same as real estate tax.  Same thing - just slightly different names. 

Hope that helps!

-kurt