All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-15-2014

Printing original tax return after ammending

I amended my tax return but now I need a copy of my original one. Is there a way to print that??

Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Printing original tax return after ammending

Hi tinkmomto3,


Welcome to the H&R Block community.


If you delete the 1040X the return should revert to its original format and then you can print it by clicking on the return in MyBlock or in the desktop software as you usually would.  However, make sure you have a copy of the 1040X for your records first before removing it as this way you can access it and you can also restore it in the software after printing if you would like.


The amended return is your current tax return which is why you're having trouble when looking for the original 1040.


The other option is to request a copy from the IRS using Form 4506.  This will get you an actual copy of your tax return, but it will cost you $50 and will take about two to three weeks.


If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-13-2017

Re: Printing original tax return after ammending

How do you delete the amended return?