All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-30-2017


If I received unemployment  in my state do I file it under my federal as well as my state. And  do I enter the amount of child support and if so where???

Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Overwhelmed

Hi Livie,


Welcome to the H&R Block community.


Are you recieving child support?  If so then you do not need to enter that amount.  Child support is not taxable income.  However, if you recieve alimony then that is taxable and does need to be entered on your 1040, Line 11.


Which state do you live in?  Unemployment benefits are taxable in most states.  However, in Virginia, California, Oregon, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania unemployment benefits are 100% exempt from taxation.  Indiana and Wisconsin exempt 50% of the amount of unemployment benefits received that is in excess of $12,000 ($18,000 if you're married & filing jointly.


If you have any other questions please ask & I'll be glad to help you out.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Alumni Associate
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎12-13-2013

Re: Overwhelmed

Hello Livie. Welcome to The Community.

Unemployment Insurance payments are reportable/taxable income and you must report it on your federal tax return. Payments received as Child Support are not income to you. Therefore you do not report the amount received on your federal or state tax returns.

I should note that if you receive any payments for Spousal Support (Alimony), these amounts would be income to you and would need to be reported.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you.
Tax Professional (Retired)
Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Overwhelmed



I'm not sure how I left your federal tax return out of the mix on the unemployment topic.  Unemployment is taxable on your federal tax return.  And of course as I previously mentioned it depends on your state as to how its handled at the state level.