All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Old Tax Returns

How do I access old H and R Block tax returns that are associated with another email address, an email address to which I no longer have access?

The year is 2009.

Tax Pro

Re: Old Tax Returns

Hi micjoy7,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You're probably not going to have access to those through H&R Block online if it's not showing in your current account and you cannot get into the one under the old email address.  If you completed that year in an office then it might be retrievable, but you would have to ask the question at an office in your area.

You can still get a copy of your tax return by mailing Form 4506 to the IRS along with payment of $50.  It usually takes about 3 weeks to receive your returns.  You can instead get a copy of your tax transcripts from the IRS for free by mailing Form 4506-T to the IRS.  Your transcripts show the information from all of the lines on your return, but they're just the line by line read-out rather than the actual return.  Most entities that need a copy of your tax return though will accept your tax transcripts.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

[ Edited ]

They are saying that I never submitted my taxes although I was able to retrieve a hard copy showing them completed through H and R Block (did some digging in my files, thought lost in several moves since 2009). Is there a way that I can complete them again online through H and R Block to make sure they are filed? The tax year would be 2009.

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Hi micjoy7,

Glad to hear that you found your tax return.  Your best option is going to be to mail a copy of your return to the IRS along with either a copy of your letter (if you received one) or a letter from you saying that this was the return that was filed for that year through H&R Block and that if they need anything else from you to please let you know.

You can complete it again in the software, but you would have to purchase and download the 2009 desktop software as 2009 is no longer available for online completion and it can no longer be e-filed.