All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-29-2018

Need to amend--confused


I filed online, but actually forgot that I have foreign accounts and now have to file a Form 8983. H&R block is horrid with this--cannot figure out how to amend the tax return with the form. If it ends up being that I cannot file online with the 8983, do I just print out my tax return and send it with the 8983?



Council Member
Posts: 548
Registered: ‎04-06-2016

Re: Need to amend--confused

You can not e-file an amended return.  You can create it online, but will need to print and mail it in.  To be clear, you need to create a 1040X (amended return) to mail with your new form (did you mean 8938?).  You should not mail the form with your originally filed tax return.

I'm not familiar enough with the H&R Block online program to help you with creating an amended return there, but I have done it using their desktop software, so let me know if that's the version you're using.