All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-18-2017

Need change Status from Independent to Dependent after E-file

Geez,  I filed my daughter's tax before mine.  I missed to click her status at dependent and now I cannot claim her as dependent.  What step do I need to change her status to dependent?  What form?


Tax Pro
Posts: 6,165
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Need change Status from Independent to Dependent after E-file

Hi AlanMajo21,


Welcome to the H&R Block community.



You will have to wait for a while before you can file your own taxes if you want to claim your daughter.  What you'll need to do is your daughter will need to fill out Form 1040X (Amended Tax Return) to change her status to indicate that she is the dependent of another taxpayer.  The Form 1040X must be mailed to the IRS.  It will take up to 12 weeks to process (although I have seen amended returns process in as few as four weeks), and then once it has been processed you'll be able to file your tax return.


If you are expecting a refund you do not need to file an extension.


If you are expecting to owe tax then you'll need to file Form 4868 (Application for Automatic Filing Extension) and pay the tax you expect to owe right away.  If you end up owing less or not owing at all you'll get the difference back as a refund when you file.


If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)