All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Highlighted
Pioneer

NY Resident - NJ Income - credit not applying in free file program

Hello, I was using the free file program and completing state returns. I live in Manhattan but work in NJ so i filled out the NJ Non resident form and the NY state form using the program. Also, I moved to Manhattan on July 2017 - so lived here for 5 months of 2017

My understanding is that for the amount of NJ tax I pay, I get a tax credit for my NY taxes (this is seen in the program). However, I'm not seeing the credit applied.

• My tax liability for NJ is ~1200 but ~2300 got withheld so I get a refund from NJ of ~1100
  • My tax liability for NY is 2700 but shouldn't I get a credit of 1200 from the taxes paid to NJ?
    • The program is not reflecting this change and says I owe 2700 to NY, even thought in the credits portion of the NY return it says I have a non-refundable credit of 1200
    • My NJ employed does not withhold for NY taxes

I'm hoping this is a glitch and that I don't actually have to pay double taxes. Thank you for your help!