All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Valued Pioneer

Multi-state return (KY/NJ)

Getting ready to file after getting an extension.

Spouse and I live and work in KY, but she had a small amount of income from a trust in NJ that apparently requires tax payment in NJ on the NJ-1040NR using form NJK-1 that she received.

I purchased H&R Block tax software federal+KY.

Questions:

1. Would it be beneficial to purchase the additional NJ software rather than trying to fill out the NJ return by hand?
  2. Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks!

Tax Pro

Re: Multi-state return (KY/NJ)

Hi vknowles,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

If you would prefer not to purchase the software for your additional state then you can probably complete the return for free on the New Jersey department of revenue website.  Most states offer a free file option directly through their department of revenue.

The main benefit of using tax software instead of preparing the return by hand is that it may be processed somewhat more quickly since it will take less time to get there and go through automatic accuracy checks.

Note that for most states you will have to mail your state return to your state's department of revenue no matter how you do it at this point since the original filing deadline has passed.

Also, don't forget to take the credit for tax paid to another state on your resident return for Kentucky for any tax that you pay to New Jersey so that you're not double taxed.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Highlighted
Valued Pioneer

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.

Tax Pro

You're quite welcome.