All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Valued Pioneer

Missing W2 and Rejected Return...and other inquiries

Hello, I'm new here, so I hope I did this right...

So...last year I worked for a major retail store that went out of business in July. Granted I was only there for a month, but I never got a W2 from them. I looked online, and asked some former co-workers for advice, and even though I didn't make much, and that I was only there for that short period, I still wanted to include it on my return. I thought I found the correct EIN online, and so I e-Filed my Federal, and had to mail in my State. 

Today, 5/17, I found an email from 4/23 stating that my return was rejected...this answered my question on why I had never received my refund yet. Apparently the EIN was incorrect, and so I spoke with one of the former coworkers and asked them for the basic info on their W2 (EIN, company address, etc). I corrected the EIN on the federal and e-Filed it again, and it looks like I'll have to mail my State return again. 

1. If the info for the retail company is still wrong, what will happen next? 

2. Will I be penalized by the IRS even though I didn't see the email from 4/23? The email was most likely buried under others, and it wasn't until I was doing a tax search in my Inbox when I found it. 

3. Even though the company was going out of business, shouldn't have all of their employees, even the ones that were hired in the final weeks, received a W2 from them? For the record, the company was Sports Authority, which was bought out by Dick's. Unfortunately, their customer service and website stated that they did not have W2s for SA or Golfsmith employees. 

4. Since the returns were rejected, is there still a notice in the IRS that I did attempt to file before the due date?

Tax Pro

Re: Missing W2 and Rejected Return...and other inquiries

Hi DoleWhipFloat,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

No matter what the circumstances all companies are REQUIRED to mail Forms W-2 and 1099-MISC to all employees by January 31st.  So you should have had your W-2 at the beginning of February.  However, since the company is refusing to provide you with a Form W-2 or 1099-MISC there are other options.  But first let's see if we can answer the questions you asked.

(1) This goes along with what I was just talking about.  You're going to need an accurate Form W-2.  If the return rejects again, and it will if the information is inaccurate, then you'll need to get the correct information and re-send it.

(2) You can only be penalized if you owe tax.  If you are due a refund you have 3 years from the original due date of the return to file it for the refund.  So if you're due a refund you have plenty of time.

(3) I kind of already answered this one.  The company is required to provide you with a Form W-2 by January 31st each year regardless of circumstances.

My suggestion for you is to request your tax forms from the IRS.  The will have a copy of all forms issued to you in their possession by around July if they do not already.  You can request the information from your tax forms by filing Form

4506-T.  Make sure that you request your wage & income transcripts (check the box on Line 8).

Filing the 4506-T is all you should have to do.  But if for any reason that doesn't work you can use a substitute Form W-2 to get your tax return filed.  Form 4852 (Substitute W-2) does not require the employer's EIN if you do not know it.  Returns using substitute W-2 forms must be mailed to the IRS.

FORM 4852

FORM 4506-T

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

[ Edited ]

Hi Louis,

Thank you very much for the speedy response. I got an email this evening that the return was rejected *again*, but when I looked over it, I didn't have the official name of the company. I fixed that, re-filed, and hopefully it'll go through this time. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I *did* fill out Form 4852/Substitute Form W-2, 1099R. 

I've tried to find a way to contact TSA Stores Inc, but to no avail, so I will probably take your advice and contact the IRS regarding their info. 

If it doesn't work this time after I've re-filed and re-mailed, I may just make an appt with H&R Block... Smiley Happy

Tax Pro

Hi DoleWhipFloat,

You're welcome.

If you're using a substitute W-2 that's the reason why the return is rejecting.  It's not the information on the form, it's that you cannot e-file a substitute W-2.  All you need to do is fill out the substitute W-2 with all of the information you know and then print & mail the return to the IRS along with the Form 4852.

If you get your W-2 information from the IRS with Form 4506-T then you'll be able to fill out a normal W-2 in the software and e-file.  Forms 4506-T usually take about two weeks to process.

Louis

Valued Pioneer

So get this...I happened to look at my bank account this morning and noticed that my state refund was direct deposited today. This struck me as odd, because I mailed the return last month (at the very last minute, but because I waited and did not expect to *not* get my W2 from Sports Authority). The federal return is still rejected, so next week I will mail the forms you told me to print out and send (even though I already did the special form detailing how long I worked at SA and how much I made after taxes). 

Since the state return was apparently accepted, what does that mean? Did they accept the wrong info for Sports Authority on the 4852?