All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-31-2018

Married Filing Jointly Federal, Filing Separately State



I just filed a federal tax return using the H&R Block with a married filing jointly status. My wife and I haven't filed state tax returns, because our situation is little complicated. I work and live in Kansas, but my wife moved to Wisconsin in August 2017, then she currently works and lives over there. When I was filing the federal return, I was the primary one.


Can my wife and I just file state tax returns separately? or Do I need to do something else? I have googled this topic, but couldn't find the exact answer for Kansas and Wisconsin.



Associate (Pioneer)
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎01-08-2018

Re: Married Filing Jointly Federal, Filing Separately State

Hello sanghee1021,

Welcome to H&R Block Community.

According to the Kansas (KS) state rules, Kansas requires the same filing status used on the federal return. Therefore, for the Kansas state return, when the Federal return is being filed as "married filing joint", so too would be the Kansas return. According to Wisconsin (WI) state rules, a taxpayer may qualify for more than one filing status, such as Married filing joint or married filing separate. However, for this situation in the tax program, when you are filing federal as a joint return, you would also be filing a joint return for both KS and WI.

If you choose to file the state returns separately, due to the fact that Kansas return requires the same filing status as the federal return, you would have to file federal return as married filing separate in order for Kansas return to be filed separately. When choosing to file the returns as married filing separately, you will be filing a married filing separate return for Federal and Kansas while the spouse would be filing for Federal and Wisconsin.

If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help.

Tax Research Specialist