All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Valued Pioneer

Just filed and got an email from HR block saying my refund will be delayed until after 2/15/17.

I received an email from HR block saying I won't get my refund until after 2/15 because I filed a form EIC or Additional Child tax credit and I filed neither and just verified by looking through my return. Apparently there's a new law that if you filed the EIC form or Additional child tax credit form you won't get your refund until after 2/15. 

However, I did NOT file either of these forms. I claimed a child tax credit (not additional) and did not claim EIC. I do not want to have to wait until the expected date they gave me of 2/27 to receive my refund. Has anyone else received this email in error?

Tax Pro

Re: Just filed and got an email from HR block saying my refund will be delayed until after 2/15/17.

Hi Zenmaster,

Welcome to the community.

If you did not claim the refundable child tax credit or the EIC then you'll probably get your refund a week or so earlier.  Use "Where's my refund?" to track the status of your tax return and don't worry about the email if you didn't claim the refundable credits.

The email was triggered because you had child tax credit on your tax return.  If you claimed earned income credit (Schedule EIC) which you usually would automatically if you have a child because the child qualifies you for it, then that would also trigger that email.

The good news is that the normal wait time is 21 days, so even if you do see a delay it will not be by much.  21 days from the first day you can actually file (January 23rd) is right around February 15th which is the first date that CTC and EIC refunds can be authorized on under the new law.

Note that your tax return has not actually been filed yet as the IRS will not start accepting them until January 23rd.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

Re: Just filed and got an email from HR block saying my refund will be delayed until after 2/15/17.

Thanks Louis. So the email gets triggered if I claimed a child tax credit and not necessarily and additional child tax credit? It's odd that they'd send it out to so many who are not affected. I usually get my refund in my bank account by the end of January so his alarmed me that I'd be getting it a month later.
Tax Pro

Yes Zenmaster, that's correct.

The child tax credit becomes additional child tax credit if you don't have any tax liability.  They are actually the same credit except for whether or not it's refundable on your particular tax return so if it sees child tax credit of any kind on your return that's what triggered the email.

But since you don't have any refundable CTC claimed on your return you can disreguard that email.  You're good to go and you shouldn't have any delays.

Always glad to be of help.

Louis

Pioneer

Same thing happened to me I claimed the child credit but not the additional Child credit or earned Inome credit that's why I came here to find out if it's happened to anyone else. I won't file with HR block next year if my return gets held up because of this.
Highlighted

Cortney4269,

Welcome to the Community. I've just learned from our digital products team that some filers of the child credit were inadvertently sent an email that was intended only for earned income tax credit and additional child tax credit filers.

We apologize for the confusion. Your return should not be impacted and you can ignore the email.

Harold

Tax Pro

Hi Cortney4269,

Welcome to the community.

Since you didn't claim the additional (refundable) child tax credit there shouldn't be a problem.  Your return will process normally once the IRS begins accepting them on the 23rd.

The emails are triggering for taxpayers who claim child tax credit of any kind, so may have gotten one by mistake.  Please disreguard the email since you did not claim the refundable credit.

Hopefully this clears up this issue for you and if you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Esteemed Pioneer

I received the same email.  I also received an acceptance from the IRS and the email from H&R block indicated the same thing that I would not receive the refund until after 2/15.  I didnt claim the EIC or the ACTC.  I did qauify for $150 in child tax credits.  My understanding is though that the hold up is only on EIC/ACTC.  Is that correct?

Valued Pioneer

Hi Louis, you said the earliest my taxes would be filed would be January 23rd but I just received an email saying the IRS has accepted my return. Does this mean it was filed earlier than planned? I submitted with hr block January 15th.
Tax Pro

Hi Zenmaster,

Yes, your return can be accepted early.  Typically it will not be accepted before the e-file season officially starts, but the IRS does accept a few returns early at random each year while they are testing their e-file system.  If you got an email that said your return was accepted then you're one of the lucky few.

Always glad to be of help.

Louis