All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Is National Guard considered Active Duty?

I am helping my son file his taxes and he received income from the National Guard for Basic Training.  I recall as I was going through the process it asked me if he was active duty military.  Is National Guard considered to be active duty military?

Trusted Council Member

Re: Is National Guard considered Active Duty?

Hi Mikey_Clayman,

Active duty refers to a status where you're actively working in a military position and if you're given an order to go into a combat zone or into some sort of action you don't have a choice.  In other words being on active duty means you're actively doing something (a job of some sort, etc.) for the army, navy, etc. and you can be deployed at any time.  Being in the reserves and going through basic training are not active duty.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Louis,

That's NOT accurate information .Basic training and ADT school  and Guard training are considered active duty status. 

Associate (Neighbor)

From the military standpoint, you are correct - basic training is considered active duty.

From the IRS standpoint, Louis is correct - National Guard activity is not considered active duty, unless the unit is activated.