All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

If I am blind or low-vision can I deduct a service like Aira?

If I am blind or low-vision and pay for a service like Aira (see website matching Aira.io)  which provides remote assistance for a fee can it be deducted?    Does my level of vision matter in terms of whether it qualifies?

Tax Pro

Re: If I am blind or low-vision can I deduct a service like Aira?

Hi nolimitssd,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

If this service is medially necessary because of your disability/condition you can deduct the cost of the service in the medical expenses section of Schedule A.  You have to be able to prove that it is medically necessary if asked by the IRS.  Written confirmation from a doctor can serve as proof.  You can also deduct the cost of health insurance, doctor's office visits, hospital visits, and other medically necessary expenses on Schedule A.

There's also some other good news for you here.  If you are legally blind you get $1,550 added to your standard deduction.  If you are married and filing jointly it's $1,250 instead of $1,550.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)