All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-29-2017

IRS says I owe $3000 ????

I received a letter from the IRS stating I owe $3094 from 2015. I filed through HR Block. Are HRB returns warranted for this sort of thing? Is there any support available for an error like this? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks. Jen

Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: IRS says I owe $3000 ????

Hi Jcm730,


Welcome to the H&R Block community.


The first thing when you get an IRS letter is that unless it's an issue that you know the IRS is correct about, for example that you did not enter your identity protection PIN number, then don't reply to it until you discuss the situation with a tax professional.  On the one hand one of the more recent IRS-related scams involves fake CP2000 IRS letters that say you owe so much money and request payment of the past due tax.  On the other hand, if there is an error on your tax return that caused the excess tax then chances are 99% that it can be corrected with a simple amendment to your tax return.


This kind of thing can happen to anybody regardless of who you file your tax return with.  Although the tax software does check your return for errors, in order to lower your chances of an error as much as possible you should request to work with an experienced tax professional (if you go to an office) or use "Best of Both" to send your tax return to a tax professional for review (I you file online).  All of the tax professionals who take care of "Best of Both" clients are among the more experienced.


I will help you out as much as I possibly can.  I have a couple of questions for you to help figure out what you should do next:


(1) Did the letter give a specific reason for the tax being owed or give an indication as to what the error or issue was?


(2) If so, what was the reason?


(3) Did you purchase "Peace of Mind" coverage from H&R Block when you filed the tax return?




Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎10-05-2017

Re: IRS says I owe $3000 ????

[ Edited ]