All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

I paid extra federal and state taxes to short-term insurance - where to log these wihtholdings

[ Edited ]

I had a short term disability and insurance covered compensation for those 8 weeks. Long story short, I also received compensation from my employer for same period. So I then refunded the insurance payments, but they had already paid federal and state withholding taxes, which I then also fully re-paid to the insurance company. As such, I made those "extra" federal and state tax payments. The insurance company did not send me a W-2 nor any other paper work, just an email with a spreadsheet showing that i paid $1600 in fed and $400 in state taxes by my refunding payment.  Where am I supposed to enter these extra tax payment claims on the software or forms - again, I have no documentation except for emails and my cancelled check.

TIA

Tax Pro

Re: I paid extra federal and state taxes to short-term insurance - where to log these wihtholdings

Hi alexloka,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

The withholdings that you did not receive a Form W-2 for can be entered on Line 65 of the 1040 for taxes that you paid over the course of the year.

In the online software you can find this in the "taxes" section of the interview.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)