All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

How do i file my 2016 state tax return online?

I put it off and then forgot about it and now I can't find how to file it on the HR block website. It is just saying 2017 tax season is almost ready to begin. I am due a refund if that matters.
Tax Pro

Re: How do i file my 2016 state tax return online?

Hi Oshagirly,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

Online filing for 2016 ended on October 18th.  For those who were affected by the hurricanes it ended on November 18th.

You can still file your tax return, but you will need to either print the required forms from the IRS website and do it by hand or you can download the 2016 H&R Block software if you would like and do it with the software but you'll still have to print and mail the tax return.

The good news is that when you're due a refund you have have 3 years from the due date of the original return to file your tax return and still get your refund.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Thanks this was helpful 

Tax Pro

You're quite welcome.

Hi - asking for my brother, who neglected to file his 2016 tax returns - my question - how do we prove to bankruptcy court we filed his 2016 taxes if we do it manually - like, would we have to wait for IRS.gov to accept them online and provide a status?  I suspect just us filling in the forms and taking them to bankruptcy wont be sufficient documentation.  Suggestions?

Tax Pro

Hi RhondaEllen,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You should wait until the return has finished processing, at which point they are officially on record.  If your brother is due a refund then the return will be finished processing when the tracker says "refund authorized" or shows that the refund was taken to pay down a debt.  If you're not due a refund then make sure the status of the return is "accepted" and wait at least 21 days, the normal processing time, before handing the court a copy of the tax return.  This way you know that the return is in the system and should be finished processing.

You must mail your 2016 returns to the IRS and state at this point since e-file has ended even for those with extensions through January.  When you mail a tax return the IRS tracker will update but it will take a couple of days longer than you are used to due to the 1-3 days that it takes for the return to get to the IRS.  I would say give it about 1 week from when you drop the return in the mail.  Also, use a Priority Mail envelope so that your mail will stand out and perhaps be processed more quickly.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)