All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

How do I access past years' tax returns?

I filed my prior tax returns jointly with my ex husband. Can anyone tell me how I can view a break down of my income versus his income on my prior tax returns with the website. I dont have access to our prior W-2s.

Tax Pro

Re: How do I access past years' tax returns?

Hi oannamarie,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.  I'll be glad to help you out.

Previously filed returns can be accessed in your MyBlock account once you pass the identity/security check.  You will only be able to view your tax documents if you uploaded them separately from your tax return though.  Even so, if you have a good idea of what your own income was then you'll be able to separate the two incomes when you see the tax return (just subtract your income from the amount on Line 7 of your 1040 return and that will give you your ex-spouse's income amount.

• If you can't get into your MyBlock account then try creating a new MyBlock account.  Once you pass the identity/security check and you can see your tax documents in your new account delete your old MyBlock account (or call support at 1-800-HRBLOCK and request that it be deleted).

If you filed your tax return in an H&R Block office then you can request a copy at any office that is open all year long.  With you there in person the tax professional that you speak to will be able to get your consent and pull the return up in the office software and print it for you.

Another option for you is to request your tax return and/or forms from the IRS.  There are three options for obtaining your documents through the IRS:

1. Request your tax return transcripts online through the IRS website.  Your transcripts provide a line-by-line read-out of your 1040 tax return.  If you request wage & income transcripts you'll get a read-out of all of your income forms that you entered information from.  This is free and the documents are made available instantly once you pass the IRS identity/security check.
  2. Request your tax return transcripts by mail.  Complete Form 4506-T and mail it to the IRS.  You'll receive your tax transcripts in the mail within about 2 to 3 weeks.  This is also free of charge.
  3. Request a copy of your actual tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 and mailing it to the IRS.  You'll receive your actual tax return & tax forms for both the federal and state levels.  This option costs $50 and takes about 2 to 3 weeks.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

how do I get a copy of my 2015 taxes

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Hi Dlrusso20,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

My previous post in this thread outlines all of the options that are available to you.  You have different options for getting a copy through H&R Block depending on how you filed the return.  These options are the same for all of the recent years going back to at least 2013.  The options for the IRS apply to the last ten years.  If you can't get a copy from H&R Block then I would go with one of the IRS options.  On Form 4506 or 4506-T make sure that you include your previous address if you've moved since 2015.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)