All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Healthcare penalty for 2016

I didn't have Healthcare last year (2016). When I filed my taxes the option to "no answer" the healthcare question was not an option. Does anyone have an update on amending my return to change my answer so I am not penalized? 

Also, for someone who has not filed yet and they choose not to answer the healthcare questions is this a means for an audit?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: Healthcare penalty for 2016

Hi mad09,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

The health insurance penalty is still intact until Congress changes the law (2016 returns are not affected by anything that changes).  The only way around the penalty is to qualify for an exemption.  If you qualify for an exemption then you can amend your return to claim an exemption.

You do not have to provide information about the type of insurance you have if it's not marketplace insurance, but you still have to indicate whether or not you had insurance for the year.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)