All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

HSA Newbie

I am just wondering. This is my first time having an HSA. I'm enrolled in the HDHP starting May last year. My question is, do I have to use the deluxe filing option or can I still use the simple filing option? I have not made any contributions other than through my employer and the contribution FROM my employer and have not withdrawn any funds from it. Practically haven't touched it! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Neighbor

Re: HSA Newbie

You will need to select a product that provides both Forms 1040 and 8889. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter whose money was added to your account, it all must be reported (Form 8889, Part I). Also, if you have taken any money from the account to pay medical expenses (bank issues you Form 1099-SA), those distributions must be reported (Form 8889, Part II).