All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Getting an error last name does not match what was entered on your federal return

Hello,

I am getting an error like "last name does not match what was entered on your federal return".

My last name is "Thomas Mattappallil" ,but HRBLOCK is not allowing to enter it fully. The federal tab accepts 17 letters whereas state tab 15 letters . How to fix this issue and have the last name fully in e-file so that it can match with my bank accounts and ssn etc.

Tax Pro

Re: Getting an error last name does not match what was entered on your federal return

Hi sibyabin,

Have you tried entering it as T Mattappallil?  You can usually use an initial for a middle name or a second last name and it will still match your social security card info.  If this doesn't work, please let me know.

Welcome to the community.

Pioneer

Re: Getting an error last name does not match what was entered on your federal return

Thanks for the reply

This might work in the software . But will this be accepted by IRS since my SSN , passport and bank account has got the full last names 

This is my names as per records (SSN, passport and bank accounts)

First Name : SIBY ABIN

Last Name : THOMAS MATTAPPALLIL

Are you suggesting to use the last name as THOMAS M ? I have seen lot of rejection cases in forums due to names mismatch.

What if I get a rejection due to this even after the name corrected to THOMAS M ? I am not USA at present and wont be able to call your customer care and be on hold for more than 15 minutes ( I have called many times now and i did not get any representative online till now)

Pls help.

Thanks

Siby

Tax Pro

Hi sibyabin,

I suggest entering your last name as "T  MATTAPPALLIL" and that should be accepted by the IRS.  Also, when there are two first names on a social security card the second one is usually a middle name.  The "A" in Abin might actually be your middle initial.

If the return does reject, you can re-open the return and correct whatever the error is and re-send it.  It doesn't cost anything to fix a rejection if you do it online yourself.

Hope this helps.

Pioneer

"Non-alphanumeric characters issue?

I went and reentered my personal information and it went through. 

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: "Non-alphanumeric characters issue?

Glad to hear that you were able to get your return filed.