All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Form 7004 Extension of Time to File Rejected

Hello,

I filed my company's 7004 on April 18th via registered mail, signature required.  I received a notice that it has been rejected due to filing late.  I have the tracking number that shows that it was picked up and scanned in by usps on the 18th.  What are my options if any?  I tried calling but they were too busy to accept calls today on this topic.  Thanks for any advice!  

Tax Pro

Re: Form 7004 Extension of Time to File Rejected

Hi callcomm1,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

The IRS must receive your extension application by the 18th.  It has to be mailed before the last second.  I usually recommend mailing applications for extensions for returns due on the 15th (the 18th this year) at least 1 week in advance of the due date.

Unfortunately your only option is to file the return as soon as possible.  Applications for extension (7004 and 4868) are only an extension of time to file the return, not an extension of time to pay your tax.  If any tax is due then it must be paid immediately either way.  If no tax will be owed than an extension is not required.

If you need assistance with the return or with estimating your tax due you might consider meeting with a tax professional in your area.  Some H&R Block offices are open all year long.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Thank you very much for your reply.  So the envelope being postmarked with tracking included that indicates it was placed in the mail on the 18th does not matter?  Does the IRS treat the mailing of extensions differently than the actual filing of returns?  For example If I had mailed my return on the 18th (postmarked on 18th) then that would be accepted by the IRS as timely filed?

Thank you in advance

Tax Pro

[ Edited ]

HI callcomm1,

Correct.  The determining factor for an extension is whether or not the extension application is in the IRS' hands and in their system by the April due date.

Returns are a little bit different.  The IRS will not reject your tax return solely because it's late and they don't mark returns as being late, but they will penalize you if you owe tax and haven't paid it by the original due date of the return.

I actually had a question on the community board a couple of weeks ago from someone who mailed payment of their tax due to the IRS on the 15th and they were hit with interest and penalties because their payment wasn't actually received until about the end of the following week (granted I'm sure the penalty wasn't that much because we're only talking about a week).  That's why I can't suggest enough to make sure you mail payments, etc. to the IRS at least a week in advance of the due date.

Louis