All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Forgot to put Federal and State Tax Returns from Previous year - suggestions?

Hello H&R Community,

I'm fairly new to the tax scene; I've taken the step to file my taxes by myself through H&R block.  Everything has gone fine - it's fairly simple being a college student and having very few forms to submit, but I forgot to report state and rederal refunds from the previous year.  It looks like I will need to submit an amendment - am I correct in assuming so?  And if not, what are the approprate steps to updating my forms?

I'd like to be as thurough and accurate as possible!

B

Tax Pro

Re: Forgot to put Federal and State Tax Returns from Previous year - suggestions?

Hi bhempel,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You only have to report state refunds, and only if you filed Schedule A (Itemized Deductions) the year before instead of taking the standard deduction.  Since you probably had no more than a small amount of income as most college students do I'm sure you didn't file a Schedule A, so you will not need to worry about reporting your refunds from last year.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Highlighted
Pioneer

Re: Forgot to put Federal and State Tax Returns from Previous year - suggestions?

Much appreciated for the help, thanks Louis!

Tax Pro

You're quite welcome.