All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

First Time Itemized Deductions

So I've searched what can be included in itemized deductions but have not found the answer. When I buy stuff at the grocery store, gas station and AMZN, I pay tax on some stuff (diesel fuel, toilet paper, camera gear, etc.) Can these be listed on the form Sch A anywhere?

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: First Time Itemized Deductions

Yes, it is possible to claim that as an itemized deduction.  You would put the total amount of taxes paid on those purchases (sales tax for example) on Schedule A, line 5.  You must choose between State and Local Taxes withheld OR sales taxes paid.  Generally the sales taxes paid is a much lower figure, unless you live in a state that does not have a state income tax.

I hope that is enough information to get you started.

Good Luck!

Tax Pro

Hi mstrdrago.

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

Expanding on this a little bit.  Your sales tax deduction goes on Line 5B of Schedule A.  However, you may want to deduct state income taxes instead on Line 5A if you live in a state that has an income tax.

In order for Schedule A to be beneficial you must have enough allowable deductions so that your total deductions exceed your standard deduction amount.  If you're single your standard deduction is $6,350.  If you're a head of household it's $9,350, and if you're married & filing jointly it's $12,700.

You do not actually have to submit receipts and other proof of your deductions with your tax return, but you should keep all of those items in a safe place so that you have something to show if the IRS ever does ask a question.

Also, you can only deduct 2018 taxes that you prepaid in December of 2017 if the taxes were assessed by your local or state government before December 31st, 2017.  I thought I would give you a heads up since a lot of people have been prepaying 2018 property and income taxes to take advantage of the full deduction before the tax bill limits it in 2018.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Thanks. I'm in Texas so have no state income tax. Have property taxes and taxes paid on stuff purchased (new 5th wheel, new truck, extensive pile of camera gear, guns, ammo, clothing, tax on some items at groc store, and fuel - lots of fuel). Not sure how to handle the fuel since the receipts do not list the tax amount. They do list the gallons purchased and I'm thinking it is 9 cents per gallon.

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Hi mstrdrago,

You're quite welcome.

On fuel you don't pay a sales tax so that's why it's not showing one on your receipts.  The tax on fuel is actually a fuel tax and that's not deductible.  In Texas it's 20 cents per gallon.

The sales tax rate in Texas is 6.25% but if your county or city imposes a sales tax it may be slightly higher.  Localities can impose up to a 2% sales tax on top of the state's 6.25%.

Since you purchased a truck the sales tax deduction will be worth a good amount to you this year.  You're correct that Texas does not impose an income tax.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)