All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-18-2017

Filing an extension without Line 5 Total 2016 payment

I have been helping my elderly uncle with filing his taxes for the last several years.  This year he is having trouble finding any of his paperwork for filing.  He has received refunds each year, so he will not owe anything.  When I tried to file the extension with the deluxe software, it wants the total 2016 payments.  Since he hasn't found the papers yet, I can't input that information, what should I do?  I don't think he needs to file and extension based on the expected refund, but he thinks it has to be done.

Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Filing an extension without Line 5 Total 2016 payment

Hi DMK31,



Welcome to the H&R Block community.


Since he will not owe any tax, your uncle absolutely does not need to file an application for an extension.  He cannot be penalized in any way for filing late and he has 3 years from the original due date of the return to file for a refund.


The only time you can be penalized is if you pay tax after the due date or if you owe more than $1,000 in tax and you did not make payments during the year.


Also, your uncle can get his tax forms from the IRS if he needs to by filling out and mailing Form 4506-T (make sure to check the box on Line 8 for wage & income transcripts).  This will get him the information from all of his W-2 and 1099 series and other income tax forms (everything that he needs to complete his return).


If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.




Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)