All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-03-2018

Filing SSA-1099 on behalf of young dependent child

I have a question about filing tax returns online on behalf of a young child.


My wife is disabled. She receives social security disability benefits. I am employed as a professional in the field of my expertise. So, we have to pay taxes on her disability income. Because of her disability, my two children, ages 6 and 7, also receive social security benefits. When I signed them up, I was confused about how this income would need to be reported. I assumed that this income would be considered family income that we, as their parents, would need to report on our taxes. So, I made the decision to have taxes withheld on their benefits. They did not receive enough money to owe taxes. So, since their income is considered separate from our income, they would have to file separately to get refunds. Their social security income is their only source of income.


The issue is that they are obviously too young to do their own taxes. I would like to complete tax returns for both of them, and would prefer to do it online, which is how I file my own. However, I can't log in using my email, because it just goes to my account without the option to add separate returns for my dependent children. Is there a way that I can still file for my children using the online system? Would I have to use separate emails or something (they are too young to have their own emails). How would I do this logistically?

Associate (Pioneer)
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎01-08-2018

Re: Filing SSA-1099 on behalf of young dependent child

Hello aybee27,

Welcome to the H&R Block Community.

For your situation, you would have to use separate emails to create an account in the H&R Block online tax program to prepare the returns for the children.

As an alternative, you can use the H&R Block desktop/downloadable software that has up to 5 free Federal e-files. To access the H&R Block desktop/downloadable software, go to the following link:

If you have any other question, I'll be glad to help.

Tax Research Specialist