All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Extension or not?

Hello,

I received a rejection from the IRS yesterday for incorrect AGI/PIN.  I tried to obtain a transcript from the IRS but was unable to register an account. Today, I managed to talk to someone from IRS, and was able to confirm that 1) they somehow did not update my address correctly and 2) they actually made some "calculation corrections" on my 2016 return, which presumably changed the AGI and voided my refund. But I never received correspondence from them about these changes, only that I never got my refund.

Should I file an extension at this point?  If I do, would I still be able to file electronically until October? I prefer to e-file than mailing in the return so that I would have clear records of my submission and know that they actually got it.  I'm being barred from trying to register with IRS within the 24 hours after trying too many times because of the address issue. The IRS agent said what I enter have to be an "exact" match, but their form doesn't even allow me to enter a State or postal code as this is a foreign address...very frustrating...

Council Member

Re: Extension or not?

I noticed you said that you have a foreign address. If you're out of the country, you get an automatic extension of time to file of 2 months without having to request it. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad .

You will owe interest on any payment due from the April 18th filing deadline.  If you'll be receiving a refund, it won't matter.  In fact, there really is no filing deadline if the IRS owes you money (you're getting a refund)-- they don't care if you ever collect! Smiley Happy (Although they may send you a letter if your income level looks high enough/your withholdings low enough that it looks like you may have owed them money.)

Karen

Highlighted
Pioneer

Re: Extension or not?

Thank you, Karen, for the detailed response! It looks like the IRS will accept e-filings through October. That should give me ample time to sort out account issues.