All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Associate (Council Member)

Extension Deadline Looming

Did you file an extension before the April 15th deadline. If you did the October 15th deadline for filing your return is just a few days away. Didn't file a return this year and not sure what to do? Mike Slack from The Tax Institute takes a look at the different scenarios you might find yourself in if you didn't file a return this year and your best options for getting it done. Check out Mike's blog post here on our Block Talk Blog.

Good luck!

JerryG

Community Manager

Check BoxDid my reply help answer your question? Please mark it as an accepted solution by clicking on the green "Accept as Solution" button below. Thank you!
Highlighted

Re: Extension Deadline Looming

An excellent and informative Block Talk Blog article from Mr Slack. I do, however, think that one more point needs to be mentioned here.

The October 15th filing deadline also marks the LAST DAY the IRS Efile system will accept 2014 tax returns filed via efile. What this means is any taxpayer who files their income tax return on October 16th or later must file a paper return by mail. One drawback (especially for those expecting a refund) is that it would take 6 - 8 weeks for the IRS to process the return as opposed to the approximately up to 21 day timeline when efiled.

I hope this is useful information, and would urge taxpayers to utilize the efile system before the October 15th deadline. Good luck to all of you.
WillMc1
Tax Professional (Retired)

Re: Extension Deadline Looming

Thank you Will for the important reminder of the IRS e-file deadline. As you mentioned, e-filing can be so much easier and much quicker if you're expecting a refund.

JerryG

Check BoxDid my reply help answer your question? Please mark it as an accepted solution by clicking on the green "Accept as Solution" button below. Thank you!