All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Esteemed Pioneer

EITC/ACTC Refund Questions

I e-filed on 1/23 and my return was accepted on 1/23. I did get the EITC and the ACTC. I read online that people with these credits will start to see deposit dates of February 15th and after. The H&R Block app says that if you filed before 2/15 the earliest that you will start to see refund deposit dates is the week of February 27th. So when will you be able to see your direct deposit date on WMR? Will you know a few days before February 15th if you are in that group or will no refund information be available until after February 15th?

I have also been reading online that this refund delay only applies to people who are filing with these credits for the first time and if you are not a first time filer with this situation you can expect to get your refund sooner. Can someone answer that question please? Is the refund delay for everyone?

I'm just trying to get some correct information.
Highlighted
Associate (Neighbor)

Re: EITC/ACTC Refund Questions

My understanding of the EIC/ACTC credit situation is that every return containing those credits will be delayed and the monies

will not be released by the IRS until sometime after 2/15/17.   The 2/27/17 date comes from a suggested date from the IRS to

allow for processing and delivery.  It is a very conservative time frame.

Hope that helps clear things up!

Associate (Council Member)

As a side note, the mandate to withhold issuing tax refunds (as per the PATH Act of 2015) that contain claims of EITC and/or the ACTC affects ALL filed tax returns regardless of whether a taxpayer is a first-time filer, or a long-time filer. The 2/27/17 date is an estimated time frame provided by the IRS that illustrates when taxpayers can begin to expect their refunds, as long as no other problems/issues are found with the tax return. As always, the "Where's My Refund" tool found on www.irs.gov is the best and most up-to-date source of information.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. Good luck to you.
WillMc1
Tax Professional (Retired)
Esteemed Pioneer

Thank you for the replies.