All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

E-filing 2015 taxes in September 2017 with H&R Bock 2015 Premium

My wife and I have received an extension for filing our 2015 federal taxes, and the deadline is this coming Sunday, September 17, 2017. I am using H&R Block 2015 Premium + Efile + State to prepare the federal and California state returns.

Will I be able to use this program to efile these returns on Saturday, September 16, 2017? Or has an efiling deadline that I am not aware of passed that will prevent me from doing so?

Tax Pro

Re: E-filing 2015 taxes in September 2017 with H&R Bock 2015 Premium

Hi ericldahl,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

The deadline for e-filing 2015 tax returns was October 18th, 2015.

You will have to print and mail your tax returns to both the IRS & state.

If you do not owe any tax or if you are due a refund then the extension doesn't matter.  You actually have three years from the original due date of the return to file for a refund.

If you do owe tax though you'll want to get that return filed and pay the tax as soon as possible.  An extension only extends the time for filing the return, not for paying the tax.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Hi,

I'm trying to efile my California tax return and on the page where we input AGI, PIN numbers and Today's Date, the date is locked at 4/18/17.  Because of this, it will not allow me to efile.  How do I change the date to today's date?

Tax Pro

Hi davelnca,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

California may not be able to be e-filed after the deadline for the return.  Like anything else the last day to e-file varies by state.  The federal return can be e-filed until October 18th for both 2015 and 2016 returns.

You are welcome to call support at 1-800-HRBLOCK and ask them if you can still e-file the state return.  However, I would suggest printing & mailing your tax return since for California you usually have to send a copy of the federal return with it anyway.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)