All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Highlighted
Trusted Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Do I need form 8889 If I don't have any HSA contributions or withdrawls

Hi

I have HSA account where the only contribution made is by my employer - which is already shown on my W2 in Section 12 Code 'W'

I don't have any withdrawl from HSA account last year

Also, I didn't make any contributions

In this case, do I need to file Form 8889? The reason being - the basic version of HR block doens't let you add this form, and need to convert to deluxe. But given my situation, do I need the form in the first place or skip it for htis year?

Thanks

Trusted Pioneer

Re: Do I need form 8889 If I don't have any HSA contributions or withdrawls

Hi

In continuation to my prev question,

Since no personal contributions or withdrawls, forms 1099-SA or 5498-SA are not required.

Just in case if the answer to my qn above is yes, i need to file form 8889 even if no contributions or withdrawls,

can i download the form seperately from irs website and fill it, and mail it along with the forms i download from the basic HR return?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Neighbor

Yes, you must fill out Form 8889 for all HSA contributions to your account. Not doing so will likely result in additional tax and penalty because the IRS will assume your box 12 W pretax amount is not allowed. Filing Form 8889 will provide the needed information to save you taxes on that amount.

Neighbor

To be safe, I would file an amended tax return. Sending only a Form 8889 could become misplaced or not recorded properly.