All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Deductions for part time freelance writer with full time job.

I am a new part-time freelance writer and I have a full time job that accounts for the lion's share of my income. I have at this point I have spent more money on freelancing than what I have brought in. is the amount I can deduct limited to what I earned on freelance work, or is it deducted from my overall income?
Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: Deductions for part time freelance writer with full time job.

Hi Kickernate,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

The answer to your question depends on whether you are in business to earn a profit or whether you're writing on the side as a hobby activity.

If your intent is to earn a profit and you work at the writing activity regularly then your freelance writing activity is considered a business.  As the owner of a business, you'll report your revenue & expenses on a Schedule C and the amount of your expenses that exceeds your revenue (all money & property received) from the business will carry to your 1040 as a negative amount which will reduce your other income.

If, on the other hand, you have no intent of earning a profit from writing and you work on that activity a little bit from time to time rather than working on it regularly then your writing activity is a hobby.  Income from hobbies is reported on Line 21 of your 1040 and then expenses can be deducted on Schedule A in a certain order up to the extent of the income from the hobby.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,
Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)