All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Claiming number of allowances in W4

Hello!

I have a question about how many exemptions can I claim on the Form W-4.

I hold Indian Citizenship and am on F-1 OPT Visa. I pass the Substantial Presence Test. I live with my girlfriend(since last 2 years approximately). She has no income, she is not filed as a dependent by anyone, and she is a US Citizen.

Can I file my girlfriend as my dependent?
Also, can I file as the head of household as I take care of all of the expenses?

In summary, can I file for 4 exemption?
1 for myself (Line A)
1 for I am single and have only one job (Line B)
1 for Dependent (Line D)
1 for Head of household (Line E)

Thank You

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: Claiming number of allowances in W4

Hi neo-warez,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

Yes, so long as you lived with your girlfriend and her child all year long last year and they meet the other dependent requirements you can claim them as your dependents.  You can claim up to four exemptions on your W-4, however, if you claim four exemptions your withholding will be very low so you may want to claim one or two rather than four so that you have enough withholding to cover your tax.  The objective with a Form W-4 is to have enough withholding to cover your tax but at the same time to maximize your paychecks.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

Hello LouisH!

Thank you for your reply. I think I will stick to 2 exemptions.

We do not have any child, it is just me and her. Also, what are the other dependent requirements?

Thank you!

Tax Pro

You're welcome.

Not sure where I came up with a child.

Anyhow, since you are not married and not related your girlfriend must be claimed as a qualifying relative who lives with you if she qualifies, and it sounds like she will from the information you provided.  The requirements that she must meet are:

• she must have lived with you for the entire year
  • she must have received more than 50% of her support from you
  • she must have earned less than $4,100 for the year
  • she must not be the dependent of another taxpayer
Valued Pioneer

Hello LouisH

Thank you for clarifying about the dependent requirements. She does indeed qualify as a dependent for me.

As I mentioned earlier, I will be filing for 2 exemption. During the tax refund season, do I need to take any extra steps to claim her as my dependent while filing the taxes?

Tax Pro

neo-warez,

You're quite welcome.

If you use the H&R Block software it will prompt you to enter information about any dependents you have.  It's pretty self-explanatory and easy to follow once you've gotten started on that part.  You just have to answer questions in the software on the dependent requirements and enter your dependents' names, social security numbers, dates of birth, etc.

If you file in an office make sure that you bring your dependents' social security cards with you, be ready with their general information, and the tax professional will do the rest for you.

Valued Pioneer

Hello LouisH

That sounds good! Thank you again!