All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-11-2017

Claiming an RV on taxes

We just bought an RV and paid cash, there is no loan.  Are there any deductions we can take?

Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Claiming an RV on taxes

Hi mercedes841,



Welcome to the H&R Block community.


There are actually a couple of things you can deduct on Schedule A.


If your vehicle is registered in a state where they impose an ad-valorem tax then you can deduct that tax.  An ad-valorem tax is a tax on the value of the vehicle and it is usually assessed as part of the registration fee when you get your tags.  You can deduct the ad-valorem tax each year that you own the vehicle and pay the tax.  Note that Georgia no longer charges this type of tax, and some other states such as Florida do not impose an ad-valorem tax.  On your registration receipt this type of tax may be referred to as an "excise tax".


The other thing you can deduct is the sales tax you paid on the vehicle (assuming that you purchased it from a dealership).  Note that if you deduct sales tax you cannot deduct state & local income taxes.  Also, if you deduct the tax on the RV and/or other large items you cannot opt to use the calculated option for the sales tax deduction but rather must deduct actual sales tax paid.



If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.


Senior Tax Advisor (Tama, FL)

Esteemed Neighbor
Posts: 220
Registered: ‎02-28-2016

Re: Claiming an RV on taxes

Note that in the state of Georgia, any RV (recreational vehicle) that is a pull behind trailer, fifth wheel or camper is still subject to the annual ad valorem tax and you will be able to deduct the amount on Federal Schedule A.