All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Claiming a dependent...

Hello,

My son is currently 24 years old and is a fulltime student at UCR but made some part-time income of $5500 last year before attending college. He still lives with me at home and would like to know if I can still claim him as a dependent.

Thankyou

Juan Amore

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: Claiming a dependent...

Hello, jam0re_1961, and welcome tot he community.

Since your son is a full-time student, you would be able to claim him as a dependent.  Based on his earned income, there might be a little bit of a question about that...  However, as long as you would be able to show that you provided more than half of his living expenses (which I believe would be easy, since it includes the value of housing which you're providing - and, presumably health insurance as well), you are entitled to claim him as a dependent.

Hope that helps!

-kurt

Council Member

It depends on when he turned 24. If he turned 24 before the end of the year then he will not qualify as your dependent. 

You can claim an unmarried child 1) who's UNDER 24 AND a full time student. or 2) a child who's 24 or over if you provide over half their support AND they have less than $4050 of income. Since he made $5500 #2 isn't the case.  So, it depends on whether or not he was 23 or 24 at the end of 2017.

Karen

Pioneer

Thank you for both responses. My son became 24 years of age on 2017. He was born on 7-22-93. Therefore, I will need to update both mine and his income tax forms. Can my son Josh, can claim himself on his tax form for the $5500 income he made? And,...

can I still report his college expenses from his (1098-T) on my income-tax return or do I need to report it on his?

Council Member

Yes, (since he's not your dependent since he was 24 at the end of 2017) he will claim his own dependency exemption.  The person who claims the exemption for the student is the one who reports the college expenses on their return, so they will need to be reported on your son's return.

Karen

@jam0re_1961 wrote:

Thank you for both responses. My son became 24 years of age on 2017. He was born on 7-22-93. Therefore, I will need to update both mine and his income tax forms. Can my son Josh, can claim himself on his tax form for the $5500 income he made? And,...

can I still report his college expenses from his (1098-T) on my income-tax return or do I need to report it on his?