All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Child Tax Credit - Not Allowing

Last year, the software enabled me to take a $650 deduction for my 3 kids (AGI lowered my ability to take the full amount).

This year, my AGI is actually $6K lower, but the software says my income is too high to claim the credit. 

I don't see a way to force the issue or work around this. Any advice? I don't want to pay extra to H&R Block to gain the credit I know I should have.

I've calculated the credit I should receive using the IRS guidelines and it should be higher this year than last. 

Tax Pro

Re: Child Tax Credit - Not Allowing

Hi scaboags,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

If your filing status changed this year that may have something to do with this.  Did you change from filing jointly with your spouse to filing either separately or as a head of household?  This would have affected your income-based phase-out level for the CTC.

The child tax credit phases out completely at:

• $75,000 for MFS
  • $95,000 for Single, Head of Household, and Qualifying Widow/Widower
  • 130,000 for MFJ

If your income is below the above limits you are eligible for either full or partial credit provided that the other requirements for the child tax credit are met.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Re: Child Tax Credit - Not Allowing

Louis,

Thanks so much for responding and so quickly!

So, last year my AGI was $156K and the software allowed me to take a $650 credit.

I did re-read the documentation and you are right, for every $1000 over $110K, you lose $50. $20K x $50 = $1000, in essence wiping out the credit.

In essence, was that in error last year?

Scott