All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Trusted Pioneer

Are travel expenses deductible for checking on a property I own out of state?

Are travel expenses (i.e. air fare, car rental, etc.)  deductible for checking  on a property I own out of state?

• I have a house located out of state and fly there twice a year to make sure it's maintained.  This includes activities:  lawncare is done, repairs fixed, monitor condition, etc.

Are the associated maintenance and repairs tax deductible?  (Listed above.)

Thank you. 

Highlighted
Associate (Council Member)

Re: Are travel expenses deductible for checking on a property I own out of state?

If you are traveling there for THAT purpose (checking on/supervising that maintenance is being done) a case could be made 

the trip is deductible.  HOWEVER, if you are also spending some time (a couple of days, etc.) sightseeing, visiting friends, going 

out and vacationing, etc. then an examiner will most surely not allow such a deduction.  It would not pass "the smell test". 

Be very careful when trying this type of expense deduction.

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: Are travel expenses deductible for checking on a property I own out of state?

Dear Grapefruit:

I'm assuming this is rental property.  Then Yes, the travel expenses are deductible.

SimonT

(Tax Analyst)