All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

American opportunity credit question

Hello, 

I work full time and was enrolled in school full time for 1 term in 2016. My Tuition was $1732 and my books were $99. I received a $919 reimbursement from my employer.

The software online is telling me that the Credit will only save me $437 and I don't understand why I don't qualify for at least the portion of my tuition that was not reimbursed by my employer ($813). The software is telling me I am receiving a credit of $262 for the American Opportunity and $175 for the Refundable American Opportunity Credit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: American opportunity credit question

Hi dlindemyer,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

The American Opportunity Credit is not dollar for dollar, but rather it is calculated based in part on your eligible expenses.  60% of the credit is non-refundable and 40% is refundable, so your credit will always be split in the refundable and non-refundable portions.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)