All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

American Opportunity Tax Credit - Definition of Completion of Four Years Post Secondary Education

I've been a part time student (periodically dropping below half time) at a technical college for over four years and have never claimed the American Opportunity Tax Credit. The credit states that a student cannot claim the tax credit if they have completed the first four years of post-secondary education. The ambiguity in my situation is over the definition of four years of completed education - I wouldn't even be considered a junior at a four year university.

In this context, with all other criteria for the credit met, could I apply for the credit?

Thanks!

Trusted Pioneer

Re: American Opportunity Tax Credit - Definition of Completion of Four Years Post Secondary Educatio

From IRS Pub 970, discussing the qualifications of students for the AOC:

"As of the beginning of 2016, the student had not completed the first 4 years of postsecondary education (generally, the freshman through senior years of college), as determined by the eligible educational institution."

If your institution wouldn't yet consider you a junior, you meet that one.  Smiley Happy