All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Esteemed Pioneer

Alternate Documents for the New Jersey Earned Income Tax Credit

I am a single father of 3 young children and self employed. Due my taxes myself, and for years i have worked for a company and had a W2. Always received both fed and state return direct deposit shortly after returns were accepted.

2016 i was self employed. Did my taxes last year as self employed and i got my federal return no problem. But state return was delayed. I received the letter for needing alternate documents. They needing copies of birth certificates, social security cards for my dependants. Also because i am self employed needed info on business i had, advertising, websites, and copies of receipts for a quarter of 2016.

So i did i through the website and sent all the info they asked for. And finally got my return on frigging June. Which is ridiculous. Ive always received my state return im Feb.

Now i know anyone who was getting eitc had to give the alternate documents due to fraud.
Buy what i want to know is how to send all the alternate documents when i file my return.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/eitcrefund.shtml#collapse5

Tax Pro

Re: Alternate Documents for the New Jersey Earned Income Tax Credit

Hi babybellasdad,

There are several states that delayed refunds last year to help them fight tax fraud in the same way that the IRS delayed federal refunds until the end of February last year.  So I've got a heads up for you.

New Jersey was among the first states to implement new return processing procedures last year.  It has one of the longest wait times with literally all of their taxpayers waiting a minimum of 60 days from the file date for their refunds to be processed regardless of what occurs in the meantime.  New Jersey is following the same procedure this year, so your state refund will likely not arrive until sometime in April if you file at the beginning of the season.

Only Georgia has a longer wait time at a minimum of 90 days for the majority of its taxpayers.

If New Jersey requests additional documentation they will tell you how they want it to be sent in their letter.  Usually you can mail it or fax it.  Since you provided additional information last year though they may not need as much from you this year and you'll get your refund a little sooner anyway.

The IRS also will not issue a refund this year until at least February 27th if you claimed the earned income credit and/or the child tax credit.

Highlighted
Esteemed Pioneer

Re: Alternate Documents for the New Jersey Earned Income Tax Credit

Thanks for the info, but i am looking to send the alternate documents with my return. And I am currently living in hotels and have no way to get any mail. So i have no way to receive the letter if they send it to my old address.