All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Xis
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

AGI from last year

Hi.

Last year my then-spouse and I filed as married and under her name (i.e. her name and SSN was listed first in the joint return).  This past year we have divorced and I am now filing as head-of-household.  The software asks for my AGI from last year's return in order to file.  It is not clear to me if I have to indicate that I am a new filer (and my AGI from last year is zero) or if I have to use the amount we used in our joint return.  Can anybody help with this, please?

Thanks

Xis

Tax Pro

Re: AGI from last year

Hi Xis,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

What you'll need to do here is enter "0" for your AGI as you were not the primary on your last year's tax return and thus the AGI from it will not come up under your name.

If for any reason it doesn't go through then you will need to file in an H&R Block office so that you won't need your AGI in order to file the tax return.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Xis
Pioneer

Thank you very much, Louis.

Xis

Tax Pro

You're quite welcome.

Pioneer