All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

4883c and still waiting on refund.

Filed taxes on Feb.6th at H&R block office and recieved the 4883c from irs wanting me to confirm my identity. I paid extra for the identity shield not to mention I've done my taxes with h&r block since 2005. I called to confirm identity and they said 9 weeks well 9 weeks went by and no return still so called back and they inform me that it shows I never called the first time but the man miraculously remembered he forgot to send my information through and he didn't do something right so they promised me in 9more weeks but we for sure would see our refund. Well 9 weeks went by no refund I called Irs and they are still reviewing my taxes for another 60 days?!?!? Why? I'm so connfused and frustrated and I'm really thinking about never paying h&r block again. I asked them to help at the beginning when I first recieced letter and they said they never even heard of the form before and couldn't help me. All I want is my refund before 2017!!!!can I do anything to speed the process up? Feb.6 to now is beyond frustrating!!
Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: 4883c and still waiting on refund.

Hi Mrpruitt09,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

I can certainly understand your frustration and I'll do what I can to help.

Let first make sure you know what Tax ID shield is because you may have been confused on that or perhaps is wasn't explained properly.  Tax Identity Shield runs your information against the H&R Block system starting with the tax year following the one during which your purchase it in order to prevent ID theft for the next three years.  So the Tax Identity Shield product you purchased will be working for you starting in 2017.  Tax Identity Shield cannot prevent IRS issues like this one, but it goes a long way to keep criminals from filing tax returns in your name.

An identity protection PIN number from the IRS, on the other hand, will prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future because your PIN is unique to you and confirms your identity.  Your PIN also changes every year so that nobody can steal it and use it the next year.  If you live in Florida or Georgia you do not have to be a victim of identity theft to get a PIN number but rather you can call the IRS' identity protection division at 1-800-908-4490 and they will issue you a PIN number for 2017.  If you live in another state and you've been a victim of ID theft then you should call and get a PIN number immediately.

This issue that you have run into is an issue with the IRS, and you could have run into this one no matter who you filed your return through.  Therefore the best thing you can do is to keep on the IRS to get this taken care of.  You will eventually get your refund, but it can take quite a while for a return to be reviewed, especially during the summer and fall months, so please try to be patient (although I know that's pretty difficult when you've been waiting for over five months).

ID verifications are done at random, so there is no way you could have known that this would happen.  I've seen a couple of those letters this year myself.  Make sure you get the information requested to the IRS as soon as possible to keep things rolling (it sounds like you already did that).  Also, check the status of your tax return about every four weeks using "Where's My Refund?" on the IRS website and if it hasn't updated give them another call.  The more you stay on top of this the faster things will go.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)