All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-10-2017

2015 Ohio School District tax

So I just got a notice from the state saying I didn't pay any school district tax for 2015. I know that the tax was withheld from my check and I filed my state taxes with H&R block. Now, the state is saying I owe a lot of money. What do I do? Why wasn't this filed with my taxes??



Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: 2015 Ohio School District tax

Hi ebeach,



Welcome to the H&R Block community.


It sounds to me like you either didn't file a school district tax return or your owed more tax than what you paid.  I would review your tax return, with a tax professional if necessary.  Check the return for errors and to be sure that your tax that was withheld from your paychecks was entered correctly.  A "second look review" is free at any H&R Block office.


If an error was made you can amend the tax return, and 95% of the time that will correct the problem.


Note that there are some school districts and localities below the state level who impose an income tax and have a separate (but simple) paper tax return.  You may need to file a district tax return separately from the state return unless your state is one of those that handles everything at the state level and then sends collected taxes to its districts & localities that have an income tax.  A tax professional in your area will know if you need to file a separate return for the school district.



If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)