All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

2013 taxes

I filed my 2013 taxes in June of 2017. I was informed that I would not get my refund due to the statute of limitations. My question is... in 2013 I filed an extension. Does this extension that was accepted by the Irs extend that statue as well?
Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: 2013 taxes

HI Misty_wnters,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

The last day to file your return for a 2013 refund was April 18th, 2017.  The return must have been received by the IRS by this date.

Under the internal revenue code, as of April 19th, 2017 your 2013 refund became the property of the United States Treasury permanently.  Once the final deadline for filing for a refund passes there is no way to get that refund.  The final deadline for filing for a refund is 3 years from the original due date of the tax return.

Extensions do not extend the final deadline for filing for refunds.  In fact, if you are due a refund an extension is not required, and you cannot be penalized.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)