All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Valued Pioneer
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-20-2016

1099 for sub leasing

I have a person subleasing a space in my studio that I pay rent for. Do I issue a 1099 for the money she has paid in rent? Do I issue it for the full amount of rent she has paid?

Posts: 113
Registered: ‎01-08-2018

Re: 1099 for sub leasing

Hi rd34,


Welcome to H&R Block Community!


When a subtenant pays you rent, you do not need to issue a 1099-MISC to the tenant. 


You may need to report the total rent paid to your landlord on a 1099-MISC if you meet the following qualifications:

  • The rent was paid in the course of your trade of business.
  • The total rent paid was at least $600 for the tax year.
  • Your landlord was not registered as a corporation or an LLC treated as a C or S corporation.
  • The rent was not paid to a real estate agent or property manager.


The following link gives a summary of information about Form 1099-MISC and its uses:

The following link contains the instructions for filing out Form 1099-MISC:


If you have any further questions, I'll be glad to help.



Tax Research Specialist