All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

1099-SA includes two tables same trustee but different fund & account number - should I total box 1

Hello Tax Experts,

I have received 1099-SA that includes 2 tables containing box 1 thru 5. Trustee / Payer, payer federal id number is same but Fund and account number is different. Should I sum the amounts from 2 box 1s and enter that amount in HSA distribution under adjustments? I will be very grateful for your help. Thank you.

Thanks,

Nitin

Tax Pro

Re: 1099-SA includes two tables same trustee but different fund & account number - should I tota

HSA distributions are not an adjustment to income. They are reported on form 8889. 

BettyB
Sr. Tax Analyst
Valued Neighbor

Re: 1099-SA includes two tables same trustee but different fund & account number - should I tota

Are the distribution codes in box 3 the same?

Tax Pro

Not necessarily, there are 6 different codes that can be used. If you look on the back of the 1099SA it should list those codes.

BettyB
Sr. Tax Analyst
Pioneer

thank you... distribution code is same i.e. 1

Highlighted
Valued Neighbor

As long as the code is the same and these are both for the same individual, you may add the amounts and enter as single form. It's curious how this was reported to you. Perhaps the account was renamed/numbered as a result of a bank sale or merger.