All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

1099 G for Unemployment

Ok so I filed my taxes on the website and I think I may have made a mistake. The form for 1099 G on the website asked for the refund amount (box 2 I believe) but there was nothing in that box on my 1099 G so instead I just entered my unemplyment benefits (box 1) into that slot. I'm starting to think that they are not the same and that this problem may cause my refund to be held up. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? H&R Block did not give an option to enter Box 1, so I just assumed that they meant the amount I was refunded from my unemployment. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Trusted Council Member

Re: 1099 G for Unemployment

Hi kina,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You won't be able to do anything to correct an error, if you made one, until your original tax return has finished processing.  What you can do in the meantime is pull up your tax return and look what the number was that you entered.  You should be able to acess a PDF copy of your tax return in MyBlock.

If the number you entered was incorrect then you'll need to file Form 1040X (Amended Tax Return) to correct it once your original return has finished processing.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to assist you.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Louis,

The number I entered is the correct number from my 1099 G. My question is that since HR Block did not give an option to enter box 1 and would not allow "0" as an option for box 2, then how was I supposed to enter it in the first place? And also how would I be able to correct it? I want to know if unemployment benefits recieved will count as the refund amount on the 1099 G. I already know how to amend a return. I just want to know if that will be necessary. 

Associate (Council Member)

kina,

Yes you need to amend your return.   Since you said you know how to amend your return, we don't need to 

go into the "how".   Remember to wait for your refund(s) BEFORE mailing in your amended return.

Others reading this thread should remember      not    to plug numbers into other blocks on a form.  Some 

forms from the government are used for multiple purposes and will lead the processing of a tax return to 

go into a different (and wrong) direction.   There is a support line available to answer questions and provide 

guidance for the online and boxed product.

Pioneer

I second what Kina said. The software does NOT match up to what the 1099G states. First of all it is confusing because it gives no indication to check that it is for UNEMPLOYMENT compensation but it asks for the "Refund Amount Box 2" when the 1099G for unemployment does not give an amount in box 2. The amount of unemployment compensation is listed in box 1. Next it says "Tax Year of Refund (box 3) 2015." There is nothing given in box 3 but it was collected 2016 and not 2015.

So there you have it...it only asks for STATE OR PAYER NAME, PAYER'S STATE, & REFUND AMOUNT (BOX 2). 

Therefore, where does this info get input? There is no box 2 amount (only box 1, 4, 11) and has no mention of state income tax withheld? 

Pioneer

I'm with soldiergurl ... where does the income from box 1 on the 1099G get input?
Trusted Pioneer

You have to enter unemployment as unemployment, not as a state/local refund.  As a previous poster said, the IRS uses some forms for multiple things.  The 1099G is one of them.  Unemployment reported on a 1099G goes under the Employment category and then you click on Unemployment.  If you choose State and Local refunds, you won't see the correct boxes to enter unemployment.

Pioneer

Why is it so hard to understand that THERE IS NO OPTION TO DO WHAT YOU ARE SUGGESTING.  I'm trying to enter my unemployment income and there is ABSOLUTELY NO UNEMPLOYMENT OPTION, H&R Block says there should be a 1040 option to click, there is not.  Please list detailed steps of where you believe this magical tab to be.

Highlighted
Trusted Pioneer

I will certainly help you find the place to enter your unemployment.  Here's your step by step (I'm assuming you know how to open your return and that you are using the online program and not a CD that you purchased).

1.  Click on the circle at the top of the screen that says Income. 

2.  If you have already entered some type of income, click Yes at the bottom of the screen.  Otherwise, click the first Add next to Employment, 1099-G and Freelance/Contract Income.

3.  It is under this topic you will find the magical tab that you seek.  You will simply need to click on the third topic down that says "1099-G Unemployment income" to enter your unemployment income. 

And there it is.  The magical tab in three easy steps.